Monday 29 November 2010

My Start

When I returned to New Zealand a few years ago, my grandfather gave me my grandmothers well worn linen tea towels. They are just fab for soaking up any water or spills etc. But this meant that the tea towels I had (already) bought all the way from London (from lots of Laura Ashley sales) were put aside.

So two years ago for some reason I decided to HANDSTITCH them all(10) together - to make a table cloth. I don't know why I just had to do it. (well - I sort of know - I loved the polka dots, the checks, the flowers etc) But after this, I went and bought a sewing machine ... which eventually (after figuring out how to use it) led to making other things. Things that I felt comfortable with, that I was happy with (no matter what anyone else tried to say to me). So I hope you will ignore all the wrinkles in this tablecloth and see what it represents - a start to something which makes me happy, something that fulfills me. Its also something that I can't believe I handstitched night after night! It had better become a family heirloom I think!x

10 comments:

Kate said...

Wow! It is fantastic.
I cannot believe you handstitched it together.
Its an heirloom for sure.

MELANIE WADHAM said...

Jen, I think it is wonderful and I am jealous, being a huge Laura Ashley fan!! You could always put a thin batting and a calico backing and then tie quilt it, it will last longer and prevent the actual tops getting worn from underneath over the years, just an idea!!
Love it!!
Mel

mel @ loved handmade said...

Definately an heirloom, what a treasure! I think it's fabulous & I LOVE that you've hand stitched it!

Unknown said...

I love it! I am glad you stuck to it, opinions and all! Now look at what you're doing - amazing!

Anonymous said...

It's lovely, and the fact that it was the start makes it really special.

x

teddybearswednesday said...

Oh Jennie it's sooo gorgeous. I love it, and loved reading this story xo

CurlyPops said...

It's beautiful - and it must have taken hours and hours to hand stitch it all together - wow!

Sarah@Dolls And Daydreams said...

It's so strange what will lead us down a certain path ... i love your tea towel story! Miss our phone chats :( need to stay up later so i can call you! hahaha

hugs to the girls xxxx

Seaside Siblings said...

It is lovely. Beautiful and interesting the path our lives take.

DebsArt said...

I cannot believe you only just started sewing a little while ago when your creations are so fabulous. I was recently in New Zealand and bought a copy of Your Home and Garden just to see your dolls in it and pointed them out to my husband. We are coming back to live after christmas so I will make my way to the markets.
Deb

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...